The Worthington Family Foundation 2016 distribution was divided among the following organizations:
The Ecology Center is a nonprofit organization that produces environmental
education programs and resources which are age−appropriate, engaging, and substantive. Throughout their 45−year
history, they have been a state and regional leader in environmental education. The $25,000
awarded to the Ecology Center in 2016 will be used allow them to
- Address ongoing material costs for their popular classroom programs and tours,
- Purchase the equipment needed to complete development of 14 interactive Tackling Toxics learning stations,
- Cover the cost of lab analysis of classroom samples as part of a new Toxics in Food curriculum,
- Provide stipends to educators collaborating with the Ecology Center to develop and deliver our education programs, and
- print and distribute marketing materials that will improve awareness and access to our educational resources
The Inland Seas Education Association in Suttons Bay, MI mission is to inspire Great Lakes
curiosity , stewardship, and passion in people of all ages. Through hands−on experimental learning activities abord a
traditionally rigged tall ship schooner, participants gasin the knowledge to understand the commitment for the long−term stewardship
for the great lakes. The $10,000 awarder to tie Inland Seas Education Assocication is for the purchase of an
underwater remotely controlled vehicle (ROV). Using this ROV, they plan (among other things) to:
- Collect Water and Benthos samples
- Test samples for the presence of invasive species
- Observe the lakes from an underwater perspective
- Observe water collection from an underwater perspective.
The Leelanau Children's Choir in Leland, MI an audition based,
county wide choral program for singers age 8 through high school graduation. They have enjoyed 23 years of wonderful
support of the community in both attendance and giving. Their $4,730 grant will enable them to:
- Replace some of their very time−worn costumes and
- Acquire wireless headset microphones for use by soloists.
The Livonia Symphony Orchestra, founded in 1973 as the Oakway
Symphony, it was established to serve the people of Wayne and Oakland counties. The Livonia Symphony Orchestra was
awarded $10,000 for Community Outreach to students, primarily from the upper elementary ages to the middle school
students. The funds will specifically be user to:
- Provide the opportunity for students to hear live musical presentations at their schools;
- Give musicians added opportunities to perform at schools collect and refurbish instruments to supplement schools inventory; and
- Provide opportunities for children and families to attend live musical presentations by the Livonia Symphony at no charge
Michigan Opera Theater in Detroit, MI provides students opportunities
for exploring the arts through a variety of high quality and affordable education and outreach programs. Each year,
thousands of elementary school students experience opera and the arts through programming that Michigan Opera Theater
designs specifically for young children. Michigan Opera Theater was awarded $30,000 to:
- Provide tickets and transportation for hundreds of low−income students to come see the MOTCC production of The Hobbit at the Opera House.
- Provide touring children's operas and workshops to reach students in low−income schools and under−served communities.
- Underwrite the cost of creating and updating educational materials and presentations in relation to these youth performances.
- Underwrite the cost of new marketing materials dedicated to reaching more teachers and schools with comprehensive information on MOT's children's opera programs.
- Michigan State University Opera TheaterThe MSU Opera Theatre is an ensemble of the Michigan State University College of Music, designed to provide vocal music students with high−level educational training through varied performing experiences. MSU Opera Theater was awarded $23,700 to support costumes, musical support, marketing, and their outreach program.
The Old Town Playhouse
in Traverse City, Michigan, is a volunteer based organization promoting quality community theatre experiences for
the people of Northwest Michigan by providing educational opportunities and entertainment in the theatrical
arts. They were awarded $69,956 which will be used to:
- Continue their current program that includes classes, camps, a ticket discount for families of students in their programs, scholarships, and guest artists who provide professional training that is singular to their program
- Purchase much needed props and dance shoes
- Add a spring break one week intensive camp that results in a show
- Continue after school transportation to make classes more accessible
- Revitalize their branding and marketing campaign
- Pewabic Pottery was founded by Michigan artist Mary Chase Perry Stratton in 1903 during the arts and crafts movement, is a National Historic Landmark, non−profit ceramic arts education organization, a historic working pottery and an American heritage site. Pewabic Pottery is dedicated to supporting and promoting ceramic art and artists, as well as preserving Pewabic Pottery's century−old heritage. Pewabic Pottery was awarded $50,000 to provide art and culture experiences to Detroit′s underserved children and youth. This support is essential to the success of the youth education programs at Pewabic, as these funds allow Pewabic to maintain the equipment, staff, and resources needed to successfully inspire children to see the world in new ways through the medium of clay.
- The West Virginia Symphony Orchestra is a state-wide orchestra that offers concerts and programs at the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences in Charleston, WV, as well as locations throughout West Virginia and bordering states, to serve over 200,000 West Virginians each year. The West Virginia Symphony Orchestra was awarded $20,000 in project support for the String Education Partnership in order to serve underserved West Virginian youth with music education and live orchestral music of the highest artistic quality.